Search websites, locations, and people
Hongyu CHEN, Ph. D.
School of Science
Laboratory of Nanosynthesis
Hongyu CHEN, Ph. D.
School of Science
Laboratory of Nanosynthesis
"Westlake University provides a unique environment in China promoting scientific innovation. It is a great opportunity for me to explore freely my research goals, with less distractions and compromises."
Biography and Research
Professor Hongyu Chen was born in 1976 in Taizhou, China. He obtained his B. Sc. from University of Science and Technology of China (USTC) in 1998, and then Ph. D. from Yale University in 2004. After working as a postdoctoral fellow in Cornell University, he jointed Nanyang Technological University (NTU) in Singapore in 2006 as Assistant Professor. In 2011, he was promoted to Associate Professor with tenure. He served as Deputy Head of Division of Chemistry and Biological Chemistry (CBC); Assistant and then Associate Chair of School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences (SPMS); and Associate Dean of College of Science. In 2016, he moved back to China and joined NanjingTech University, where he co-founded the Institute of Advanced Synthesis (IAS) and served as Executive Dean. He is moving to School of Science, Westlake University in mid-2021 as a tenured Professor.
Professor Chen’s research interest centers on the advancement of synthetic capability at the nanoscale, more specifically on the development of synthetic methods (similar to organic reactions), understanding the underlying principles, and applying these tools for novel nanostructures and new applications. The research directions include: 1) Control of the solid-solid interface for continual structural modulation from core-shell to Janus nanostructures; 2) Solution manipulation of nanowires to coiled rings, twisted double helices, and braided ropes; 3) Construction of chiral nanostructures; 4) Site-selective multi-step nanosynthesis; and 5) Exploration of new synthetic handles, via sonication, external magnetic field, and matrix stretching.
Professor Chen has published over 130 papers, with over 50 as the corresponding author in high-impact (IF > 10) journals. He was awarded 14 research grants in Singapore and 2 in China. Among the students and postdoctoral fellows trained in his laboratory, 17 have become professors in academia.
1. Qiuxian Chen, Wenwen Xin, Qiaozhen Ji, Ting Hu, Jun Zhang, Cheng Shang, ZhiPan Liu, Xueyang Liu*, Hongyu Chen*, “Ultrasonic Bending of Silver Nanowires”, ACS Nano, 2020, published online.
2. Ruoxu Wang, Fei Han, Bo Chen, Lingmei Liu, Shaoyan Wang, Hua Zhang, Yu Han, Hongyu Chen*, “Liquid nanoparticles: manipulating the nucleation and growth of nanoscale droplets”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2020, published online.
3. Wenjia Xu, Jia Jia, Ti Wang, Chao Li, Bowen He, Jianpeng Zong, Yawen Wang, Hongjin Fan, Hongxing Xu, Yuhua Feng* and Hongyu Chen*, “Continuous Tuning of the Au-Cu2O Janus Nanostructures for Efficient Charge Separation”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2020, published online.
4. Fei han, Ruoxu Wang, Bo Chen, Yuhua Feng, Huanzhi Liu, Shaoyan Wang, Dongmeng Su, Hua Zhang and Hongyu Chen*, “Precise Dimerization of Hollow Fullerene Compartments”, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2020, 142(36): 15396-15402
5. Yan Lu, Xuejun Cheng, Hongyan Li, Jiali Zhao, Weiyu Wang, Yawen Wang* and Hongyu Chen*, “Braiding Ultrathin Au Nanowires into Ropes”, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2020, 142(24): 10629-10633
6. Jia Jia, Gongyuan Liu, Wenjia Xu, Xiaoli Tian, Shuaibin Li, Fei Han, Yuhua Feng,* Xiaochen Dong* and Hongyu Chen*, “Fine-tuning the Homometallic Interface of Au-on-Au Nanorods and their Photothermal Therapy in NIR-II Window”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2020, 59(34): 14443-14448
7. Qian Yang, Lijie Shi,Beibei Yu, Jun Xu,Cong Wei, Yawen Wang* and Hongyu Chen*, “Facile synthesis of ultrathin Pt–Pd nanosheets for enhanced formic acid oxidation and oxygen reduction reaction”, J. Mater. Chem. A, 2019, 7(32): 18846-18851
8. Jiawei Liu, Shaoyan Wang, Kai Cai, Yefei Li, Zhipan Liu, Lingmei Liu, Yu Han, Hong Wang, Heyou Han* and Hongyu Chen*, “A New Type of Capping Agent in Nanoscience: Metal Cations”, Small, 2019, 15(18): e1900444
9. Gui Zhao, Yusai Zhou, Jiayi Wang, Zhonghua Wu, Hong Wang* and Hongyu Chen*, “Self-Healing of Polarizing Films via the Synergy between Gold Nanorods and Vitrimer”, Adv. Mater., 2019, 31(18): 1900363
10. Fei Han, Ruoxu Wang, Yuhua Feng, Shaoyan Wang, Lingmei Liu, Xinghua Li, Yu Han and Hongyu Chen*, “On Demand Synthesis of Hollow Fullerene Nanostructures”, Nat. Commun., 2019, 10: 1548
11. Tao Jiang, Gang Chen, Xiaoli Tian, Shiwei Tang, Jun Zhou, Yuhua Feng* and Hongyu Chen*, “Construction of Long Narrow Gaps in Ag Nanoplates”, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2018, 140(46): 15560-15563
12. Zhenxing Wang, Bowen He, Gefei Xu, Guojing Wang, Jiayi Wang, Yuhua Feng, Dongmeng Su, Bo Chen, Hai Li, Zhonghua Wu, Hua Zhang, Lu Shao* and Hongyu Chen*, “Transformable Masks for Colloidal Nanosynthesis”, Nat. Commun., 2018, 9: 563
13. Yan Lu, Shenghao Yang, Jun Xu, Zhenzhong Liu, Hong Wang, Ming Li, Yawen Wang*, Hongyu Chen*, “Twisting Ultrathin Au Nanowires into Double Helices”, Small, 2018, 14(34): 1801925
14. Yuhua Feng, Yawen Wang, Xiaohui Song, Shuangxi Xing* and Hongyu Chen*, “Depletion Sphere: Explaining the Number of Ag Islands on Au Nanoparticles”, Chem. Sci., 2017, 8(1): 430-436
15. Yawen Wang*, Jiating He, Suzhu Yu, Hongyu Chen*, “Effect of Thiolated Ligands in Au Nanowire Synthesis”, Small, 2017, 13(40): 1702121
16. Yong Wang, Jiating He, Xiaoke Mu, Di Wang, Bowei Zhang, Youde Shen, Ming Lin, Christian Kübel, Yizhong Huang and Hongyu Chen*, “Solution Growth of Ultralong Gold Nanohelices”, ACS Nano, 2017, 11(6): 5538−5546
17. Rachel Lee Siew Tan, Wen Han Chong, Yuhua Feng, Xiaohui Song, Chu Long Tham, Jun Wei*, Ming Lin*, Hongyu Chen*, “Nano-Screws: Asymmetrical Etching of Silver Nanowires”, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2016, 138(34): 10770–10773
18. Yawen Wang,‡ Jiating He,‡ Suzhu Yu and Hongyu Chen*, “Exploiting Rayleigh Instability in Creating Parallel Au Nanowires with Exotic Arrangements”, Small, 2016, 12 (7): 930-938
19. Yuhua Feng, Yawen Wang, Jiating He, Xiaohui Song, Yee-Yan Tay, Huey Hoon Hng, Xing Yi Ling and Hongyu Chen*, “Achieving Site-Specificity in Multistep Colloidal Synthesis”, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2015, 137(24): 7624–7627
20. Yawen Wang, Jiating He, Cuicui Liu, Wen Han Chong and Hongyu Chen*, “Thermodynamics versus Kinetics in Nanosynthesis”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2015, 54(7): 2022–2051.
Team website: www.nanosynthesis.cn