Search websites, locations, and people
Ziyang ZHANG, Ph.D.
School of Engineering
Laboratory of Photonic Integration
"I am a researcher and I love optics."
ZIYANG ZHANG graduated in Zhejiang University majoring in Optical Engineering in 2003. He received his Msc. and PhD degree on silicon-based photonic devices from the Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Sweden in 2003 and 2008, respectively. In the same year, he joined Fraunhofer Heinrich-Hertz-Institute (HHI) in Berlin, Germany and worked 8 years on polymer photonics, InP-based optoelectronics and hybrid photonic integration. In 2016, he accepted the position at the Leibniz Institute for Astrophysics (AIP) in Potsdam, Germany as head of the Astro-Optics group, to address pressing issues in astronomy with the development of “smart” fibers and integrated photonic modules. In October 2018, he joined Westlake University as Principal Investigator (PI) in the Laboratory of Photonic Integration.
Our society is witnessing an information era with exponentially growing internet traffic for the last two decades and still sees no signs of decelerating. Upon this development, photonics has been recognized as one of the key enabling technologies of the 21st century, for and beyond optical communication. Under this background, Ziyang has been working on the design, fabrication, characterization, and hybrid integration of photonic components across different material platforms in the last 17 years, pushing photonics as key enabling technology from different levels / reaches of optical communication, toward sensing applications as well as to the development of critical components for astronomical observations. Over the years, Ziyang has authored and co-authored more than 50 articles in SCI-indexed journals, plus 60+ contributions in international conferences. He is now working as managing editor for the journal PhotoniX (SpringerOpen).
Representative Publications (All done at Westlake!)
(1) Xinhong Jiang, Zhifang Yang, Zexu Liu, Zhangqi Dang, Zhenming Ding, Qing Chang, and Ziyang Zhang*. 3D integrated wavelength demultiplexer based on square-core fiber and dual-layer arrayed waveguide gratings. Opt. Express, 29(2), 2090–2098 (2021).
(2) Yuhui Chu, Zexu Liu, Zhenming Ding, Ziyang Zhang*. Birefringent and complex optical properties of monolayer graphene investigated by ellipsometry and waveguide integration. J. Phys. Chem. C, 125(3), 2124–2131 (2021).
(3) Lin Wu, Ziyang Zhang*. Domain multiplexed computer-generated holography by embedded wavevector filtering algorithm. PhotoniX, 2(1), 1–12 (2021).
(4) Zhenming Ding, Ziyang Zhang*. 2D tactile sensor based on multimode interference and deep learning. Opt. Laser Technol., 136, 106760 (2021).
(5) Kai Sun, Zhenming Ding, Ziyang Zhang*. Fiber directional position sensor based on multimode interference imaging and machine learning. Appl. Opt., 59(19), 5745-5751 (2020).
(6) Yuhui Chu, Ziyang Zhang*. Birefringent and complex dielectric functions of monolayer WSe2 derived by spectroscopic ellipsometer. J. Phys. Chem. C, 124 (23), 12665–12671 (2020).
Laboratory of Photonic Integration at Westlake University has established the technology foundation covering the design, fabrication (exclusive micro-fabrication facility in the lab), characterization, and hybrid integration of photonic components. The target is to develop unique, high-performance, power-efficient, integrated photonic modules as well as novel optical fiber-based devices for applications in communication, smart sensing, image processing, optical computation, astronomical instruments, etc.
Laboratory of Photonic Integration at Westlake University offers open positions for lab assistants, visiting PhDs, Post-Docs, visiting or long-term research associates and fellows. To apply, please send your CV and personal statement, preferably in one combined PDF, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write in the title of the email the position for which you are applying, your degree and your name.
Laboratory of Photonic Integration at Westlake University values diversity and equality. Female candidates, persons with minority background and persons with disability are encouraged to apply. Candidates will be evaluated solely based on their abilities and expertise.
Qualified candidates will be invited for interviews immediately and the positions should be filled at the nearest possible date.