Search websites, locations, and people
Yuxi XU, Ph.D.
Low-Dimensional Functional Materials and Devices Lab
"I hope to make a valuable contribution to the development of Westlake University. Best wishes for Westlake University"
2003-2007 B.S., Wuhan University, China
2007-2011 Ph.D., Tsinghua University, China
2011.9-2015.6 Postdoctoral, UCLA
2015.7-2019.4 Principal Investigator, Fudan University
2019.5-present Principal Investigator, Westlake University
The research of Dr. Yuxi Xu’s group is mainly focused on the controlled synthesis of low-dimensional materials including graphene and two-dimensional polymers and their applications in energy, catalysis and environment. His main contributions are as follows: (1) A general non-covalent functionalization method and an efficient catalytic microwave method have been developed to prepare dispersion of graphene and high-quality graphene in large scale, which greatly facilitate the processability of graphene and broaden its function and applications; (2) New strategies for assembly and integration of graphene have been developed, which not only provide a fundamental understanding of graphene as a new kind of 2D polymer building block, but also lead to diverse graphene-based assemblies and composites with superior properties; (3) A series of three-dimensional graphene-based porous macrostructures have been rationally synthesized and explored as high-performance electrode materials, which provide a promising route to promote the practical application of graphene in electrochemical energy storage devices; (4) Several 2D polymers including 2D aromatic polyamide, 2D triazine-based polymers, 2D silicene, and 2D polyimide have been successfully synthesized for the first time and demonstrated promising physic-chemical properties and functions, which stimulate the research interest and growth of 2D polymers area. Dr. Xu has so far published 50+ papers as the first author or corresponding author in top journals such as Acc. Chem. Res., Nat. Commun., J. Am. Chem. Soc., Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., Adv. Mater., Nano Lett. and ACS Nano. These papers have produced impact around the world and have been cited in Science and Nature, et al. by others over 8000 times, of which 14 papers are selected as Top 1% highly cited papers by Essential Science Indicators and some have been highlighted in various websites and as journal covers. Dr. Xu has filed several PCT patents and China patents, one of which has been licensed by Samsung Company. Due to the outstanding contribution, Dr. Xu has been awarded the First Prize of Natural Science of Ministry of Education of China (2013) and the Second Prize of Natural Science of China (2016) (both ranked 2) and also selected to be 2018 highly cited researcher by Clarivate Analytics.
1. Chaoqun Niu, Wenjia Luo, Chenmin Dai, Chengbing Yu, Yuxi Xu*, “High-Voltage Tolerant Covalent Organic Framework Electrolyte with Holistically Oriented Channels for Solid-State Lithium Metal Batteries with Nickel-Rich Cathodes”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2021, DOI: 10.1002/anie.202107444.
2. Kaixi Wang, Kwun Nam Hui, Kwan San Hui, Shaojun Peng*, Yuxi Xu*, “Recent Progress in Metal–Organic Framework/Graphene-Derived Materials for Energy Storage and Conversion: Design, Preparation, and Application”, Chem. Sci. 2021, 12, 5737-5766.
3. Peitao Xiao, Shuo Li, Chengbing Yu, Ying Wang*, Yuxi Xu*, “Interface Engineering between Metal-Organic Framework Nanocrystal and Graphene toward Ultrahigh Potassium-Ion Storage Performance”, ACS Nano, 2020, 14, 10210-10218.
4. Ke Li, Meiying Liang, Hao Wang, Xuehang Wang, Yanshan Huang, João Coelho, Sergio Pinilla, Yonglai Zhang, Fangwei Qi, Valeria Nicolosi*, Yuxi Xu*, “3D MXene Architectures for Efficient Energy Storage and Conversion”, Adv. Funct. Mater. 2020, 30, 2000842.
5. Zhonghui Chen, Xuhui An, Liming Dai*, Yuxi Xu*, “Holey Graphene-based Nanocomposites for Efficient Electrochemical Energy Storage”, Nano Energy 2020, 73, 104762.
6. Minmin Fan, Dankui Liao, Mohamed F. Aly Aboud, Imran Shakir, Yuxi Xu*, “A Universal Strategy toward Ultrasmall Hollow Nanostructures with Remarkable Electrochemical Performance”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2020, 59, 8247-8254.
7. Haiyan Duan, Pengbo Lyu, Jingjing Liu, Yanli Zhao, Yuxi Xu*, “Semiconducting Crystalline Two-Dimensional Polyimide Nanosheets with Superior Sodium Storage Properties”, ACS Nano, 2019, 13, 2473-2480.
8. Zhonghui Chen, Jiadong Chen, Fanxing Bu, Phillips O. Agboola, Imran Shakir*, Yuxi Xu*, “Double-Holey-Heterostructure Frameworks Enable Fast, Stable and Simultaneous Ultrahigh Gravimetric, Areal, and Volumetric Lithium Storage”, ACS Nano, 2018, 12, 12879-12887.
9. Fanxing Bu, Wenshu Chen, Jiajun Gu, Phillips O. Agboola, Najeeb Fuad Al-Khalli, Imran Shakir*, Yuxi Xu*, “Microwave-Assisted CVD-Like Synthesis of Dispersed Monolayer/Few-Layer N-Doped Graphene Encapsulated Metal Nanocrystals for Efficient Electrocatalytic Oxygen Evolution”, Chem. Sci. 2018, 9, 7009-7016.
10. Jingjing Liu, Yang Yang, Pengbo Lyu, Petr Nachtigall, Yuxi Xu*, “Few-Layer Silicene Nanosheets with Superior Lithium-Storage Properties”, Adv. Mater., 2018, 30, 1800838.
11. Peitao Xiao, Fanxing Bu, Ranran Zhao, Mohamed F. Aly Aboud, Imran Shakir*, Yuxi Xu*, “Sub-5 nm Ultrasmall Metal–Organic Framework Nanocrystals for Highly Efficient Electrochemical Energy Storage”, ACS Nano, 2018, 12, 3947-3953.
12. Jingjing Liu, Pengbo Lyu, Yu Zhang, Petr Nachtigall, Yuxi Xu*, “New Layered Triazine Framework/Exfoliated Two-Dimensional Polymer with Superior Sodium-Storage Properties”, Adv. Mater., 2018, 30, 1705401.
13. Runze Liu, Yu Zhang, Zhenjian Ning, Yuxi Xu*, “A Catalytic Microwave Process for Superfast Preparation of High-Quality Reduced Graphene Oxide”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2017, 56, 15677-15682.
14. Peitao Xiao, Fanxing Bu, Guanhui Yang, Yu Zhang, Yuxi Xu*, “Integration of Graphene, Nano Sulfur and Conducting Polymer into Compact Flexible Lithium-Sulfur Battery Cathode with Ultrahigh Volumetric Capacity and Superior Cycling Stability for Foldable Devices”, Adv. Mater., 2017, 29, 1703324.
15. Jingjing Liu, Wu Zan, Ke Li, Yang Yang, Fanxing Bu, Yuxi Xu*, “Solution Synthesis of Semiconducting Two-Dimensional Polymer via Trimerization of Carbonitrile”, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2017, 139, 11666-11669.
16. Tiancai Jiang, Fanxing Bu, Xiaoxiang Feng, Imran Shakir*, Guolin Hao*, Yuxi Xu*, “Porous Fe2O3 Nanoframeworks Encapsulated within Three-Dimensional Graphene as High-Performance Flexible Anode for Lithium-Ion Battery”, ACS Nano, 2017, 11, 5140-5147.
17. Meng Wang, Xidong Duan, Yuxi Xu*, Xiangfeng Duan*, “Functional Three-Dimensional Graphene/Polymer Composites”, ACS Nano 2016, 10, 7231-7247.
18. Yuxi Xu, Gaoquan Shi, Xiangfeng Duan, “Self-Assembled Three-Dimensional Graphene Macrostructures: Synthesis and Applications in Supercapacitors”, Acc. Chem. Res. 2015, 48, 1666-1675.
19. Yuxi Xu, Chih-Yen Chen, Zipeng Zhao, Zhaoyang Lin, Xu Xu, Chain Lee, Xiangfeng Duan, “Solution Processable Holey Graphene Oxide and Its Derived Macrostructures for High-Performance Supercapacitors”, Nano Lett. 2015, 15, 4605-4610.
20. Yuxi Xu, Zhaoyang Lin, Xing Zhong, Ben Papandrea, Yu Huang, Xiangfeng Duan, “Solvated Graphene Frameworks as High-Performance Anodes for Lithium-Ion Batteries”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2015, 54, 5345-5350.
21. Yuxi Xu, Zhaoyang Lin, Xing Zhong, Xiaoqing Huang, Nathan O. Weiss, Yu Huang, Xiangfeng Duan, “Holey Graphene Frameworks for Highly Efficient Capacitive Energy Storage”, Nat. Commun. 2014, 5, 4554.
22. Yuxi Xu, Zhaoyang Lin, Xiaoqing Huang, Yang Wang, Yu Huang, Xiangfeng Duan, “Functionalized Graphene Hydrogels Based High-Performance Supercapacitors”, Adv. Mater. 2013, 25, 5779-5784.
23. Yuxi Xu, Zhaoyang Lin, Xiaoqing Huang, Yuan Liu, Yu Huang, Xiangfeng Duan, “Flexible Solid-State Supercapacitors Based on Three-Dimensional Graphene Hydrogel Films”, ACS Nano 2013, 7, 4042-4049.
24. Yuxi Xu, Qiong Wu, Yiqing Sun, Hua Bai, Gaoquan Shi, “Three-Dimensional Self-Assembly of Graphene Oxide and DNA into Multifunctional Hydrogels”, ACS Nano 2010, 4, 7358-7362.
25. Yuxi Xu, Kaixuan Sheng, Chun Li, Gaoquan Shi, “Self-Assembled Graphene Hydrogel via a One-Step Hydrothermal Process”, ACS Nano 2010, 4, 4324-4330.
26. Yuxi Xu, Lu Zhao, Hua Bai, Wenjing Hong, Chun Li, Gaoquan Shi, “Chemically Converted Graphene Induced Molecular Flattening of Porphyrin and Its Application for Optical Detection of Cadmium(II) Ions”, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2009, 131, 13490-13497.
27. Yuxi Xu, Hua Bai, Gewu Lu, Chun Li, Gaoquan Shi, “Flexible Graphene Films via the Filtration of Water-Soluble Noncovalent Functionalized Graphene Sheets”, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2008, 130, 5856-5857.
Dr. Xu is always on the lookout for talented new students and post-doctoral fellows. Please do not hesitate to contact and apply.