Search websites, locations, and people
Rui Wang, Ph.D.
Next Generation Photovoltaic Lab
Rui Wang, Ph.D.
Next Generation Photovoltaic Lab
"Get Illuminated! Get Inspired."
Dr. Rui Wang is currently an Assistant Professor at School of Engineering, Westlake University. He received his bachelor’s degree (2015) and master’s degree (2016) in Materials Science and Engineering from Jilin University and University of California, Berkeley, respectively. He then joined Prof. Yang Yang’s group at University of California, Los Angeles and obtained his PhD degree in 2019. Before joining Westlake University, he was a postdoctoral scholar at University of California, Los Angeles under the supervision of Prof. Yang Yang. To date, he has published 18 peer-reviewed papers as first (co-first) or corresponding author in the prestigious journals including Science (2), Nature Photonics, Joule , Advanced Materials, Journal of the American Chemical Society, Nano Letters , Advanced Functional Materials, Matter, etc. He has accumulated over 2000 citations with an H-index of 21 (google scholar, 2021.5), 4 papers were recognized as ESI Hot paper, and 7 were recognized as ESI Highly Cited paper. His work has attracted strong interests in the society and has been widely reported by over 40 social medias including, Scientific American, Forbes, Cell Press, Physical World, UCLA Newsroom (headline) and AAAS Eurekalert. More importantly, he and collaborators have created two world-record efficiencies which are recognized in the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) Efficiency chart.
Dr. Rui Wang’s research focused on advanced fabrication and characterization of highly efficient and stable third generation photovoltaics, including precisely tuning the energy level alignment of transporting layers in organic photovoltaics; rationally controlling the morphology of organic active layer; manipulating the crystal growth of metal halide perovskite and developing constructive molecular configurations for surface-defect passivation of perovskite photovoltaics.
Representative Publications (ǂco-first futhor,*corresponding author)
1. Rui Wangǂ, Jingjing Xue*ǂ, Kai-Li Wangǂ, Zhao-Kui Wang*, Yanqi Luo, David Fenning, Guangwei Xu, Selbi Nuryyeva, Tianyi Huang, Yepin Zhao, Jonathan Lee Yang, Jiahui Zhu, Minhuan Wang, Shaun Tan, Ilhan Yavuz*, Kendall N. Houk* and Yang Yang*，Constructive molecular configurations for surface-defect passivation of perovskite photovoltaics, Science, 2019, 366, 1509-1513.
2. Jingjing Xueǂ, Rui Wangǂ, Xihan Chenǂ, Canglang Yao, Xiaoyun Jin, Kai-Li Wang, Wenchao Huang, Tianyi Huang, Yepin Zhao, Yaxin Zhai, Dong Meng, Shaun Tan, Ruzhang Liu, Zhao-Kui Wang, Chenhui Zhu, Kai Zhu, Matthew C. Beard*, Yanfa Yan* and Yang Yang*, Reconfiguring the band-edge states of photovoltaic perovskites by conjugated organic cations, Science, 2021, 371, 636. (Reported by UCLA Newsroom and AAAS Eurekalert)
3. Rui Wangǂ, Tianyi Huangǂ, Jingjing Xueǂ, Jinhui Tongǂ, Kai Zhu* and Yang Yang*, Prospectus of Metal Halide Perovskite Based Tandem Solar Cells, Nature Photonics, (2021). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41566-021-00809-8
4. Rui Wangǂ, Jingjing Xueǂ, Lei Meng, Jin-Wook Lee, Zipeng Zhao, Pengyu Sun, Le Cai, Tianyi Huang, Zhengxu Wang, Zhao-Kui Wang*, Yu Duan, Johnathon Lee Yang, Shaun Tan, Yonghai Yuan, Yu Huang, Yang Yang*, Caffeine Improves the Performance and Thermal Stability of Perovskite Solar Cells, Joule, 2019, 3, 1464-1477. (Featured Cover, reported by Scientific American, AAAS, Forbes, Cell Press etc)
5. Rui Wangǂ, Jun Yuanǂ, Rui Wang, Guangchao Han, Tianyi Huang, Wenchao Huang, Jingjing Xue, Hao-Cheng Wang, Chunfeng Zhang, Chenhui Zhu, Pei Cheng, Yuanping Yi*, Kung-Hwa Wei, Yingping Zou* and Yang Yang*Rational Tuning of Molecular Interaction and Energy Level Alignment Enables High-Performance Organic Photovoltaics, Adv. Mater. 2019, 31,1904215.
6. Rui Wang, Sheng-Yung Chang, Lei Meng, Wenchao Huang, Jin-Wook Lee, Hao-Wen Cheng, Tianyi Huang, Yuqiang Liu, Jingjing Xue, Pengyu Sun, Chenhui Zhu, Pei Cheng and Yang Yang*, Design of a Rigid Scaffold Structure toward Thermal Stable and Thick-film Organic Photovoltaics, Matter, 2019, 1, 402 -411.
7. Rui Wangǂ, Muhammad Mujahidǂ, Yu Duan*, Zhao-Kui Wang, Jingjing Xue and Yang Yang*, A review of perovskites solar cells stability, Adv. Func. Mater, 2019, 1808843.
8. Rui Wangǂ, Jintao Wangǂ, Shaun Tan, Yu Duan*, Zhao-Kui Wang and Yang Yang*, Opportunities and Challenges of Lead-Free Perovskite Optoelectronic Devices, Trends in Chemistry, 2019, 4, 368-379.
9. Rui Wangǂ, Jingjing Xueǂ, Dong Mengǂ, Jun Yuan, Sheng-Yung Chang, Yuqiang Liu, Pei Cheng, Yingping Zou, Xiaowei Zhan and Yang Yang*, Molecular Tuning of Titanium Complexes Enabling Electron Transporting Materials with Controllable Work Function for Efficient Organic Photovoltaics, J. Phys. Chem. C, 2019, 123, 34, 20800-20807.
10. Chen Chen, Tae-Hee Han, Shaun Tan, Jingjing, Xue, Yepin Zhao, Yunfei Liu, Haoran Wang, Wei Hu, Cong Bao, Marco Mazzeo, Rui Wang*, Yu Duan*, Yang Yang*, Efficient Flexible Inorganic Perovskite Light-Emitting Diodes Fabricated with CsPbBr3 Emitters Prepared via Low-Temperature in situ Dynamic Thermal Crystallization, Nano Letters, 2020, ASAP.
11. Pei Chengǂ, Rui Wangǂ, Jingshuai Zhu, Wenchao Huang, Sheng‐Yung Chang, Lei Meng, Pengyu Sun, Hao‐Wen Cheng, Meng Qin, Chenhui Zhu, Xiaowei Zhan*, Yang Yang*, Ternary system with controlled structure: a new strategy toward efficient organic photovoltaics, Adv. Mater. 2018, 30, 1705243.
12. Jingjing Xueǂ, Rui Wangǂ, Lan Chen, Selbi Nuryyeva, Tae-Hee Han, Tianyi Huang, Shaun Tan, Jiahui Zhu, Minhuan Wang, Zhao-Kui Wang, Chunfeng Zhang, Jin-Wook Lee*, and Yang Yang*, Small Molecule ‘Charge Driver’ Enables Perovskite Quantum Dot Solar Cells with Efficiency Approaching 13%, Adv. Mater. 2019, 1900111.
13. Jingjing Xueǂ, Rui Wangǂ, Kai-Li Wangǂ, Zhao-Kui Wang*, Ilhan, Yavuz, Yang Wang, Yingguo Yang, Xingyu Gao, Tianyi Huang, Selbi Nuryyeva, Jin-Wook Lee, Yu Duan, Liang-Sheng Liao*, Richard Kaner and Yang Yang*, Crystalline Liquid-like Behavior: Surface-Induced Secondary Grain Growth of Photovoltaic Perovskite Thin Film, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2019, 141, 35, 13948-13953.
14. Zhenxing Li*ǂ, Rui Wangǂ, Jingjing Xueǂ, Xiaofei Xing, Chengcheng Yu, Tianyi Huang, Junmei Chu, Kai-Li Wang, Chong Dong, Zhiting Wei, Zhao-Kui Wang*, and Yang Yang*, Core-Shell ZnO@SnO2 Nanoparticles for Efficient Inorganic Perovskite Solar Cells, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2019, 141, 44, 17610-17616
15. Femi Igbari, Rui Wangǂ,, Zhao-Kui Wang*, Xing-Juan Ma, Qiang Wang, Kai-Li Wang, Yue Zhang, Liang-Sheng Liao*, Yang Yang*, Composition Stoichiometry of Cs2AgBiBr6 Films for Highly Efficient Lead-Free Perovskite Solar Cells, Nano Letters, 2019, 19, 3, 2066-2073.
16. Kai-Li Wangǂ, Rui Wangǂ, Zhao-Kui Wang*, Meng Li, Yue Zhang, Heng Ma, Liang-Sheng Liao*, and Yang Yang*, Tailored Phase Transformation of CsPbI2Br Films by Copper (II) Bromide for High-Performance All-Inorganic Perovskite Solar Cells, Nano Letters, 2019, 19, 8, 5176-5184
17. Jingjing Xue, Rui Wang and Yang Yang*, The surface of halide perovskites from nano to bulk, Nature Review Materials, 2020, 5, 809-827.
Google Scholar Homepage: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=ErZJ4SAAAAAJ&hl=en#