Ju-Sheng got his PhD degree in nutrition at Zhejiang University (Hangzhou, China). Within his PhD program, he received one year’s training in the Nutrition and Genomics Lab at Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University in the USA, where he worked on the project of gene-nutrient interaction on diabetes traits. He was also a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellow supported by the European Commission (2016-2018), and receiving postdoctoral training at the MRC Epidemiology Unit, University of Cambridge, UK.
Ju-Sheng joined the School of Life Sciences at Westlake University as a Principal Investigator and group leader in September 2018 and has been leading the Laboratory of Human Nutrition and Epidemiology at Westlake University. He is also a visiting scientist affiliated with the MRC Epidemiology Unit at the University of Cambridge, and adjunct Professor at the Institute of Nutrition and Health, Qingdao University, China.
The major interest of Ju-Sheng’ current research is:
1) Using multi-omics technique to investigate the etiology of aging-related disease, especially metabolic diseases, and examine the role of diet/nutrition in the healthy aging;
2) Personalized nutrition: interaction of human genetic variation, gut microbiome and diet on metabolic diseases;
3) Prenatal risk factors and early infant feeding practice with growth pattern and adiposity in Chinese children.
Selected Publications (* corresponding author)
1. Gou W, Ling CW, He Y, Jiang Z, Fu Y, Xu F, Miao Z, Sun TY, Lin JS, Zhu HL, Zhou H*, Chen YM*, Zheng JS*. Interpretable machine learning framework reveals robust gut microbiome features associated with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2020, in press.
2. Miao ZL, Lin JS, Mao YY, Chen GD, Zeng FF, Dong HL, Jiang ZL, Wang JL, Xiao CM, Shuai ML, Gou WL, Fu YQ, Imamura F, Chen YM*, Zheng JS*. Erythrocyte n-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids, gut microbiota and incident type 2 diabetes: a prospective cohort study. Diabetes Care 2020, 43:2435-43.
3. Xu F, Fu Y, Sun TY, Jiang Z, Miao Z, Shuai M, Gou W, Ling CW, Yang J, Wang J*, Chen YM*, Zheng JS* The interplay between host genetics and the gut microbiome reveals common and distinct microbiome features for complex human diseases. Microbiome 2020, 8:145.
4. Fu Y, Gou W, Hu W, Mao Y, Tian Y, Liang X, Guan Y, Huang T, Li K, Guo X, Liu H*, Li D*, Zheng JS*. Integration of an interpretable machine-learning algorithm to identify early life risk factors of childhood obesity among preterm infants: a prospective birth cohort. BMC Med 2020, 18:184.
5. Zheng JS, Luan J, Sofianopoulou E, Imamura F, Stewart ID, Day FR, Pietzner M, Wheeler E, Lotta LA, Gundersen TE, Amiano P, Ardanaz E, Chirlaque MD, Fagherazzi G, Franks PW, Kaaks R, Laouali N, Mancini FR, Nilsson PM, N. Charlotte Onland-Moret C, Olsen A, Overvad K, Panico S, Palli D, Ricceri F, Rolandsson O, Spijkerman AMW, María-José Sánchez, Schulze MB , Sala N, Sieri S, Tjønneland A, Tumino R, van der Schouw YT, Weiderpass E, Riboli E, Danesh J, Butterworth AS, Sharp SJ, Langenberg C, Forouhi NG*, Wareham NJ*, Plasma vitamin C and type 2 diabetes: genome-wide association study and Mendelian randomization analysis in European populations. Diabetes Care 2020, in press.
6. Zheng JS*, Luan J, Sofianopoulou E, Sharp SJ, Day FR, Imamura F, Thomas E, Lotta LA, Sluijs I, Stewart ID, Shah RL, van der Schouw YT, Wheeler E, Ardanaz E, Boeing H, Dorronsoro M, Dahm CC, Dimou N, El-Fatouhi D, Franks PW, Fagherazzi G, Grioni S, Huerta JM, Heath AK, Hansen L, Jenab M, Jakszyn P, Kaaks R, Kühn T, Kay-Tee Khaw, Laouali N, Masala G, Nilsson PM, Overvad K, Olsen A, Panico S, Quirós JR, Rolandsson O, Rodríguez-Barranco M, Sacerdote C, Spijkerman AMW, Tong TYN, Tumino R, Tsilidis KK, Danesh J, Riboli E, Butterworth AS, Langenberg C, Forouhi NG* , Wareham NJ*. The association between circulating 25-hydroxyvitamin D metabolites and type 2 diabetes in European populations: A meta-analysis and Mendelian randomisation analysis. PLoS Med 2020, 17(10): e1003394.
7. Zheng JS, Sharp SJ, Imamura F, Rajiv C, Thomas GE, Marinka S, Sluijs I, van der Schouw YT, Agudo A, Aune D, Barricarte A, Boeing H, Chirlaque MD, Dorronsoro M, Freisling H, Fatoui DE, Franks PW, Fagherazzi G, Grioni S, Gunter MJ, Kyrø C, Katzke V, Kühn T, Khaw KT, Laouali N, Masala G, Nilsson PM, Overvad K, Panico S, Papier K, Quirós JR, Rolandsson O, Redondo-Sánchez D, Ricceri F, Schulze MB, Spijkerman AMW, Tjønneland A, Tong TYN, Tumino R, Weiderpass E, Danesh J, Butterworth AS, Riboli E, Forouhi NG, Wareham NJ. Association of plasma biomarkers of fruit and vegetable intake with incident type 2 diabetes: The EPIC-InterAct case-cohort study in eight European countries. BMJ 2020;370:m2194.
8. Zheng JS*, Imamura F, Sharp SJ, Koulman A, Griffin JL, Mulligan AA, Luben R, Khaw KT, Wareham NJ, Forouhi NG*. Changes in plasma phospholipid fatty acids over 13 years and correlates of change: European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition-Norfolk Study. Am J Clin Nutr 2019, 109: 1527-34.
9. Zheng JS*, Chen J, Wang L, Yang H, Fang L, Yu Y, Yuan L, Feng J, Li K, Tang J, Lin M, Lai CQ, Li D*. Replication of a Gene-Diet Interaction at CD36, NOS3 and PPARG in Response to Omega-3 Fatty Acid Supplements on Blood Lipids: A Double-Blind Randomized Controlled Trial. EBioMedicine 2018, 31:150-156.
10. Zheng JS, Arnett DK, Parnell LD, Smith CE, Li D, Borecki IB, Tucker KL, Ordovas JM, Lai CQ. Modulation by dietary fat and carbohydrate of IRS1 association with type 2 diabetes traits in two populations of different ancestries. Diabetes Care 2013, 36(9):2621-7.
Full list of publications:
Lab website: https://www.wenutrition.cn/
Several postdoc positions are available at the Zheng lab for researchers globally.