Search websites, locations, and people
Zhi REN, Ph.D.
School of Science
"We expect that WIAS will always head in the right direction, and grow up as a Chinese-style world-leading research institute in near future."
Zhi Ren, born in 1982 in Hubei, received his bachelor degree in science and doctoral degree in condensed matter physics in 2004 and 2009, respectively. From 2009 to 2017, he conducted postdoctoral research in Osaka University and Geneva University successively. In early 2017, he joined the Zhejiang Westlake Institute for Advanced Study (predecessor of Westlake University). He has published 74 papers, with total citations over 5300 times and an Hirsch h-index of 30. He is currently a PI in the School of Science, and his research interest mainly focuses on the synthesis and characterization of new solid-state materials.
Key Research Achievements
(i) Discovery of several high-entropy alloy and candidate topological superconductors;
(ii) Discovery of isovalent-doping induced superconductivity and its coexistence with ferromagnetism in EuFe2As2;
(iii) Identification of a series of Bi2-xSbxTe3-ySey topological insulators with strongly reduced bulk conductivity；
(iv) Discovery of pressure-induced superconductivity and its unusual interplay with magnetism in CeAu2Si2.
1. J. F. Wu, C. Q. Hua, B. Liu, Y. W. Cui, Q. Q. Zhu, G. R. Xiao, S. Q. Wu, G. H. Cao, and Zhi Ren*, “Doping-Induced Superconductivity in the Topological Semimetal Mo5Si3”, Chemistry of Materials 32, 8930 (2020).
2. B. Liu, J. F. Wu, Y. W. Cui, Q. Q. Zhu, G. R. Xiao, H. D. Wang, S. Q. Wu, G. H. Cao, and Zhi Ren*, “Formation and Superconductivity of Single-Phase High-Entropy Alloys with a Tetragonal Structure”, ACS Applied Electronic Materials 2, 1130 (2020).
3. J. F. Wu, B. Liu, Y. W. Cui, Q. Q. Zhu, G. R. Xiao, H. D. Wang, S. Q. Wu, G. H. Cao, and Zhi Ren*, “Polymorphism and superconductivity in the V-Nb-Mo-Al-Ga high-entropy alloys”, Science China Materials 63, 823 (2020).
4. B. Liu, J. F. Wu, Y. W. Cui, Q. Q. Zhu, G. R. Xiao, S. Q. Wu, G. H. Cao, and Zhi Ren*, “Superconductivity in hexagonal Nb-Mo-Ru-Rh-Pd high-entropy alloys”, Scripta Materialia 182, 109 (2020).
5. B. Liu, C. C. Xiao, Q. Q. Zhu, J. F. Wu, Y. W. Cui, H. D. Wang, Z. C. Wang, Y. H. Lu*, Zhi Ren*, and G. H. Cao, “Superconducting phase diagram and nontrivial band topology of structurally modulated Sn1-xSbx”, Physical Review Materials 3, 084603 (2019).
6. Zhi Ren*, L. Gamperle, A. Fete, C. Senatore, and D. Jaccard, “Evolution of T2 resistivity and superconductivity in Nb3Sn under pressure”, Physical Review B 95, 184503 (2017).
7. Zhi Ren, L. V. Pourovskii, G. Giriat, G. Lapertot, A. Georges, and D. Jaccard*, “Giant Overlap between the Magnetic and Superconducting Phases of CeAu2Si2 under Pressure”, Physical Review X 4, 031055 (2014).
8. Zhi Ren, A. A. Taskin, Satoshi Sasaki, Kouji Segawa, and Yoichi Ando*, “Large bulk resistivity and surface quantum oscillations in the topological insulator Bi2Te2Se”, Physical Review B 82 (R), 241306 (2010). (Editors’ Suggestion)
Featured in Physics Synopsis: Insulating behavior in topological insulators.
9. Zhi Ren, Q. Tao, S. Jiang, C. M. Feng, C. Wang, J. H. Dai, G. H. Cao*, and Z. A.
Xu*, “Superconductivity Induced by Phosphorus Doping and Its Coexistence with Ferromagnetism in EuFe2(As0.7P0.3)2”,Physical Review Letters 102, 137002 (2009).
Featured in NPG Asia Materials: Iron-pnictides: Superconductivity meets ferromagnetism.