Search websites, locations, and people
Ruihua HE, Ph.D.
Advanced Surface Analysis & Physics (ASAP) Laboratory
"I hope Westlake University can become a paradise of adventurers of an innovative interdisciplinary nature with a unique positioning."
Rui-Hua He received his Bachelor's (Master's) degree from Fudan University in 2001 (2004) and Ph.D. in Applied Physics from Stanford University in 2010. He did his postdoc at the Advanced Light Source of Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in the United States. Since 2012, he has been an Assistant Professor in Physics at Boston College, Massachusetts. Dr. He was a recipient of the U.S. National Science Foundation Faculty Early Career (CAREER) Award in 2015 and is currently an Academic Editor of two journals including Scientific Reports published by the Nature Publishing Group.
Dr. He has been engaged in fundamental research in experimental condensed matter physics, mainly using multiple complementary experimental techniques based on synchrotron x-ray and ultraviolet lights to study various emergent phenomena in strongly correlated electron materials. He was internationally recognized for some major research accomplishments, which include first evidence for broken particle-hole symmetry in the pseudogap phase of high-temperature cuprate superconductors, finding the first experimental case of 3D negative electronic compressibility in a solid (iridate), first observations of novel spin and charge orderings in cuprates, first discovery of 2D electron liquids on complex oxide (titanate and tantanate) surfaces, etc.
Dr. He has published 34 papers in top-tier scientific journals, including 1 in Science, 2 (5) in Nature Physics (and Nature Materials), 1 (3) in Physical Review Letters as a first (major) author, 2 in Nature Materials and Nature Communications as a corresponding author, and 1 invited review article in Nature Physics. His papers received more than 2,300 citations and the H index is 22 (according to Google Scholar). In particular, his works on high-temperature superconductivity have been highlighted for multiple times in separate press releases and website front pages by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory and Stanford University, and 100+ news reports by major science and technology/business/public media in 7 countries 4 languages. He received U.S. National Science Foundation Faculty Early Career (CAREER) Award (and a 5-year grant) in 2015. Dr. He serves as an academic editor for 2 journals, Scientific Reports published by the Nature Publishing Group (since 2014) and PLoS ONE by the Public Library of Science (since 2011), and as a frequent reviewer for 15+ scientific journals, an international conference proceedings, SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, U.S. National Science Foundation, German publisher Wiley-VCH on paper submissions, experimental, funding and new book proposals. He gave 26 invited talks at international conferences (e.g. the APS March Meeting), world-renowned universities (e.g. U Penn, Duke, Tsinghua) and research institutes (e.g. SLAC/LBNL/LANL national laboratories, Academia Sinica, CEA Saclay and JAEA) and chaired 2 sessions in the APS March Meeting.
†: equal contribution, *: corresponding author
1. J. He, T. Hogan, T. R. Mion, H. Hafiz, Y. He, J. D. Denlinger, S.-K. Mo, C. Dhital, X. Chen, Q. Lin, Y. Zhang, M. Hashimoto, H. Pan, D. H. Lu, M. Arita, K. Shimada, R. S. Markiewicz, Z. Wang, K. Kempa, M. J. Naughton, A. Bansil, S. D. Wilson, R.-H. He*, “Spectroscopic evidence for negative electronic compressibility in a quasi-three-dimensional spin-orbit correlated metal”,Nature Materials 14, 577-582 (2015).
2. J. He, P. Shafer, T. R. Mion, V. T. Tra, Q. He, J. T. Kong, Y.-D. Chuang, W. L. Yang, M. J. Graf, J.-Y. Lin, Y.-H. Chu, E. Arenholz, R.-H. He* ,“Observation of a three-dimensional quasi-long-range electronic supermodulation in YBa2Cu3O7-x/La0.7Ca0.3MnO3 heterostructures”,Nature Communications 7, 10852 (2016).
3. R.-H. He†, M. Hashimoto†, H. Karapetyan, J. D. Koralek, J. P. Hinton, J. P. Testaud, V. Nathan, Y. Yoshida, H. Yao, K. Tanaka, W. Meevasana, R. G. Moore, D. H. Lu, S.-K. Mo, M. Ishikado, H. Eisaki, Z. Hussain, T. P. Devereaux*, S. A. Kivelson*, J. Orenstein*, A. Kapitulnik*, Z.-X. Shen*,“From a single-band metal to a high-temperature superconductor via two thermal phase transitions”,Science 331, 1579-1583 (2011).
4. R.-H. He, K. Tanaka, S.-K. Mo, T. Sasagawa, M. Fujita, T. Adachi, N. Mannella, K. Yamada, Y. Koike, Z. Hussain, Z.-X. Shen*,“Energy gaps in the failed high-Tc superconductor La1.875Ba0.125CuO4”,Nature Physics 5, 119-123 (2009).
5. R.-H. He, M. Fujita*, M. Enoki, M. Hashimoto, S. Iikubo, S.-K. Mo, H. Yao, T. Adachi, Y. Koike, Z. Hussain, Z.-X. Shen, K. Yamada,“Hidden itinerant-spin phase in heavily overdoped La2-xSrxCuO4 superconductors revealed by dilute Fe doping: A combined neutron scattering and angle-resolved photoemission study”,Physical Review Letters 107, 127002 (2011) .
6. M. Hashimoto†, R.-H. He†, K. Tanaka, J. P. Testaud, W. Meevasana, R. G. Moore, D. H. Lu, H. Yao, Y. Yoshida, H. Eisaki, T. P. Devereaux, Z. Hussain, Z.-X. Shen*,“Particle-hole symmetry breaking in the pseudogap state of Bi2201”,Nature Physics 6, 414-418 (2010).
7. P. D. C. King, R. H. He, T. Eknapakul, S.-K. Mo, Y. Kaneko, S. Harashima, Y. Hikita, S. Bahramy, C. Bell, Y. Tokura, Z.-X. Shen, H. Y. Hwang, F. Baumberger*, W. Meevasana*,“Subband structure of a two-dimensional electron gas formed at the polar surface of the strong spin-orbit perovskite KTaO3”, Physical Review Letters 108, 117602 (2012).
8. Z. K. Liu, R.-H. He, D. H. Lu, M. Yi, Y. L. Chen, M. Hashimoto, R. G. Moore, S.-K. Mo, E. A. Nowadnick, J. Hu, T. J. Liu, Z. Q. Mao, T. P. Devereaux, Z. Hussain, Z.-X. Shen ,“Measurement of coherent polarons in the strongly coupled antiferromagnetically ordered iron-chalcogenide Fe1.02Te using angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy”,Physical Review Letters 110, 037003 (2013).
9. M. Hashimoto, R.-H. He, J. P. Testaud, W. Meevasana, R. G. Moore, D. H. Lu, Y. Yoshida, H. Eisaki, T. P. Devereaux, Z. Hussain, Z.-X. Shen,“Reaffirming the dx2-y2 superconducting gap using the autocorrelation angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy of Bi1.5Pb0.55Sr1.6La0.4CuO6+d”, Physical Review Letters 106, 167003 (2011).
10. W. Meevasana†, P. D. C. King†, R. H. He, S.-K. Mo, M. Hashimoto, F. Baumberger, Z.-X. Shen*,“Creation and control of a two-dimensional electron liquid at the bare SrTiO3 surface”,Nature Materials 10, 114-118 (2011).
11. M. Hashimoto*, E. A. Nowadnick, R.-H. He, I. M. Vishik, B. Moritz, Y. He, K. Tanaka, R. G. Moore, D. H. Lu, Y. Yoshida, M. Ishikado, T. Sasagawa, K. Fujita, S. Ishida, S. Uchida, H. Eisaki, Z. Hussain, T. P. Devereaux, Z.-X. Shen*,“Direct spectroscopic evidence for phase competition between the pseudogap and superconductivity in Bi2Sr2CaCu2O8+d”,Nature Materials 14, 37-42 (2015).
12. M. Hashimoto*, I. M. Vishik, R.-H. He, T. P. Devereaux, Z.-X. Shen*,“Energy gaps in high-transition-temperature cuprate superconductors”,Nature Physics 10, 483-495 (2014).
13. I. M. Vishik, M. Hashimoto, R.-H. He, W. S. Lee, F. Schmitt, D. H. Lu, R. G. Moore, C. Zhang, W. Meevasana, T. Sasagawa, S. Uchida, K. Fujita, S. Ishida, M. Ishikado, Y. Yoshida, H. Eisaki, Z. Hussain, T. P. Devereaux, Z.-X. Shen*,“Phase competition in trisected superconducting dome”,Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 109, 18332 (2012).