Search websites, locations, and people
Yuxi XU, Ph.D.
Low-Dimensional Functional Materials and Devices Lab
Yuxi XU, Ph.D.
Low-Dimensional Functional Materials and Devices Lab
"I hope to make a valuable contribution to the development of Westlake University. Best wishes for Westlake University."
Dr. Yuxi Xu received his bachelor's degree from Wuhan University in 2007, and Ph.D. degree in Chemistry from Tsinghua University in 2011. He then worked as a postdoc in University of Washington and University of California, Los Angeles before joining Fudan University in July of 2015. He moved to Westlake University in April of 2019. Dr. Xu has published more than 60 research papers about graphene and 2D polymers in high-impact journals such as Nat. Commun., J. Am. Chem. Soc., Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., Adv. Mater. His work has been recognized with >20000 citations and some honors and awards including the 2nd Class Award for National Natural Science (2nd winner) in 2016, 2018 Hall of Fame of Advanced Materials Interfaces, 2018 Emerging Investigators of Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2019 Young Cutting-Edge Award of Chinese Chemical Society, 2020 Young Innovator Award of Nano Research, and Highly Cited Researcher by Clarivate Analytics (2018-2020).
The research of Dr. Yuxi Xu's group is mainly focused on the controlled synthesis of low-dimensional materials including graphene and two-dimensional polymers and their applications in energy, catalysis and environment. His main contributions are as follows: (1) A general non-covalent functionalization method and an efficient catalytic microwave method have been developed to prepare dispersion of graphene and high-quality graphene in large scale, which greatly facilitate the processability of graphene and broaden its function and applications; (2) New strategies for assembly and integration of graphene have been developed, which not only provide a fundamental understanding of graphene as a new kind of 2D polymer building block, but also lead to diverse graphene-based assemblies and composites with superior properties; (3) A series of three-dimensional graphene-based porous macrostructures have been rationally synthesized and explored as high-performance electrode materials, which provide a promising route to promote the practical application of graphene in electrochemical energy storage devices; (4) Several 2D polymers including 2D aromatic polyamide, 2D triazine-based polymers, 2D silicene, and 2D polyimide have been successfully synthesized for the first time and demonstrated promising physic-chemical properties and functions, which stimulate the research interest and growth of 2D polymers area. Dr. Xu has so far published 50+ papers as the first author or corresponding author in top journals such as Acc. Chem. Res., Nat. Commun., J. Am. Chem. Soc., Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., Adv. Mater., Nano Lett. and ACS Nano. These papers have produced impact around the world and have been cited in Science and Nature, et al. by others over 8000 times, of which 14 papers are selected as Top 1% highly cited papers by Essential Science Indicators and some have been highlighted in various websites and as journal covers. Dr. Xu has filed several PCT patents and China patents, one of which has been licensed by Samsung Company. Due to the outstanding contribution, Dr. Xu has been awarded the First Prize of Natural Science of Ministry of Education of China (2013) and the Second Prize of Natural Science of China (2016) (both ranked 2) and also selected to be 2018 highly cited researcher by Clarivate Analytics.
1. Zhao Zhang, Chang Liu, Huilin Zhang, Zhi-Kang Xu, Feng Ju, Chengbing Yu*, Yuxi Xu*, “Ultrafast Interfacial Self-Assembly towards Supramolecular Metal-Organic Films for Water Desalination”, Adv. Sci. 2022, DOI: 10.1002/advs.202201624.
2. Tianyue Zhang, Jing Li*, Yuxi Xu*, “Superwetting Interface for Miscible Liquid Separation”, Matter 2022, 5, 1067-1069.
3. Tian Sun, Yan Liang, Wenjia Luo, Lei Zhang, Xiaofeng Cao, Yuxi Xu*, “A General Strategy for Kilogram-Scale Preparation of Highly Crystalline Covalent Triazine Frameworks”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2022, 61, e202203327.
4. Guolin Hao, Chan Zhang, Zhonghui Chen, Yuxi Xu*, “Nanoconfinement Synthesis of Ultrasmall Bismuth Oxyhalide Nanocrystals with Size-Induced Fully Reversible Potassium-Ion Storage and Ultrahigh Volumetric Capacity”, Adv. Funct. Mater. 2022, 32, 2201352.
5. Fei Wang, Zhao Zhang*, Imran Shakir, Chengbing Yu*, Yuxi Xu*, “Two-Dimensional Polymer Nanosheets for Membrane Separation”, Adv. Sci. 2022, 9, 2103814.
6. Tian Sun, Yan Liang, Yuxi Xu*, “Rapid, Ordered Polymerization of Crystalline Semiconducting Covalent Triazine Frameworks”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2022, 61, e202113926.
7. Jiwei Wang, Kaixi Wang, Yuxi Xu*, “Emerging Two-Dimensional Covalent and Coordination Polymers for Stable Lithium Metal Batteries: From Liquid to Solid”, ACS Nano 2021, 15, 19026-19053.
8. Congxu Wang, Hualei Zhang, Wenjia Luo, Tian Sun, Yuxi Xu*, “Ultrathin Crystalline Covalent-Triazine-Framework Nanosheets with Electron Donor Groups for Synergistically Enhanced Photocatalytic Water Splitting”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2021, 60, 25381-25390.
9. Kai Cui, Qingtao Wang, Zenan Bian, Gongming Wang, Yuxi Xu*, “Supramolecular Modulation of Molecular Conformation of Metal Porphyrins toward Remarkably Enhanced Multipurpose Electrocatalysis and Ultrahigh-Performance Zinc–Air Batteries”, Adv. Energy Mater. 2021, 11, 2102062.
10. Xiaohua Qiao, Chaoqun Niu, Dankui Liao, Zhonghui Chen*, Lixia Sun*, Yuxi Xu*, “A Self-Growth Strategy for Simultaneous Modulation of Interlayer Distance and Lyophilicity of Graphene Layers toward Ultrahigh Potassium Storage Performance”, Adv. Funct. Mater. 2021, 31, 2105145.
11. Chaoqun Niu, Wenjia Luo, Chenmin Dai, Chengbing Yu, Yuxi Xu*, “High-Voltage-Tolerant Covalent Organic Framework Electrolyte with Holistically Oriented Channels for Solid-State Lithium Metal Batteries with Nickel-Rich Cathodes”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2021, 60, 24915-24923.
12. Kaixi Wang, Kwun Nam Hui, Kwan San Hui, Shaojun Peng*, Yuxi Xu*, “Recent Progress in Metal–Organic Framework/Graphene-Derived Materials for Energy Storage and Conversion: Design, Preparation, and Application”, Chem. Sci. 2021, 12, 5737-5766.
13. Peitao Xiao, Shuo Li, Chengbing Yu, Ying Wang*, Yuxi Xu*, “Interface Engineering between Metal-Organic Framework Nanocrystal and Graphene toward Ultrahigh Potassium-Ion Storage Performance”, ACS Nano 2020, 14, 10210-10218.
14. Ke Li, Meiying Liang, Hao Wang, Xuehang Wang, Yanshan Huang, João Coelho, Sergio Pinilla, Yonglai Zhang, Fangwei Qi, Valeria Nicolosi*, Yuxi Xu*, “3D MXene Architectures for Efficient Energy Storage and Conversion”, Adv. Funct. Mater. 2020, 30, 2000842.
15. Zhonghui Chen, Xuhui An, Liming Dai*, Yuxi Xu*, “Holey Graphene-based Nanocomposites for Efficient Electrochemical Energy Storage”, Nano Energy 2020, 73, 104762.
16. Minmin Fan, Dankui Liao, Mohamed F. Aly Aboud, Imran Shakir, Yuxi Xu*, “A Universal Strategy toward Ultrasmall Hollow Nanostructures with Remarkable Electrochemical Performance”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2020, 59, 8247-8254.
17. Haiyan Duan, Pengbo Lyu, Jingjing Liu, Yanli Zhao, Yuxi Xu*, “Semiconducting Crystalline Two-Dimensional Polyimide Nanosheets with Superior Sodium Storage Properties”, ACS Nano 2019, 13, 2473-2480.
18. Zhonghui Chen, Jiadong Chen, Fanxing Bu, Phillips O. Agboola, Imran Shakir*, Yuxi Xu*, “Double-Holey-Heterostructure Frameworks Enable Fast, Stable and Simultaneous Ultrahigh Gravimetric, Areal, and Volumetric Lithium Storage”, ACS Nano 2018, 12, 12879-12887.
19. Jingjing Liu, Yang Yang, Pengbo Lyu, Petr Nachtigall, Yuxi Xu*, “Few-Layer Silicene Nanosheets with Superior Lithium-Storage Properties”, Adv. Mater. 2018, 30, 1800838.
20. Peitao Xiao, Fanxing Bu, Ranran Zhao, Mohamed F. Aly Aboud, Imran Shakir*, Yuxi Xu*, “Sub-5 nm Ultrasmall Metal–Organic Framework Nanocrystals for Highly Efficient Electrochemical Energy Storage”, ACS Nano 2018, 12, 3947-3953.
21. Jingjing Liu, Pengbo Lyu, Yu Zhang, Petr Nachtigall, Yuxi Xu*, “New Layered Triazine Framework/Exfoliated Two-Dimensional Polymer with Superior Sodium-Storage Properties”, Adv. Mater. 2018, 30, 1705401.
22. Runze Liu, Yu Zhang, Zhenjian Ning, Yuxi Xu*, “A Catalytic Microwave Process for Superfast Preparation of High-Quality Reduced Graphene Oxide”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2017, 56, 15677-15682.
23. Peitao Xiao, Fanxing Bu, Guanhui Yang, Yu Zhang, Yuxi Xu*, “Integration of Graphene, Nano Sulfur and Conducting Polymer into Compact Flexible Lithium-Sulfur Battery Cathode with Ultrahigh Volumetric Capacity and Superior Cycling Stability for Foldable Devices”, Adv. Mater. 2017, 29, 1703324.
24. Jingjing Liu, Wu Zan, Ke Li, Yang Yang, Fanxing Bu, Yuxi Xu*, “Solution Synthesis of Semiconducting Two-Dimensional Polymer via Trimerization of Carbonitrile”, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2017, 139, 11666-11669.
25. Tiancai Jiang, Fanxing Bu, Xiaoxiang Feng, Imran Shakir*, Guolin Hao*, Yuxi Xu*, “Porous Fe2O3 Nanoframeworks Encapsulated within Three-Dimensional Graphene as High-Performance Flexible Anode for Lithium-Ion Battery”, ACS Nano 2017, 11, 5140-5147.
26. Meng Wang, Xidong Duan, Yuxi Xu*, Xiangfeng Duan*, “Functional Three-Dimensional Graphene/Polymer Composites”, ACS Nano 2016, 10, 7231-7247.
27. Yuxi Xu, Gaoquan Shi*, Xiangfeng Duan*, “Self-Assembled Three-Dimensional Graphene Macrostructures: Synthesis and Applications in Supercapacitors”, Acc. Chem. Res. 2015, 48, 1666-1675.
28. Yuxi Xu, Chih-Yen Chen, Zipeng Zhao, Zhaoyang Lin, Xu Xu, Chain Lee, Xiangfeng Duan*, “Solution Processable Holey Graphene Oxide and Its Derived Macrostructures for High-Performance Supercapacitors”, Nano Lett. 2015, 15, 4605-4610.
29. Yuxi Xu, Zhaoyang Lin, Xing Zhong, Ben Papandrea, Yu Huang, Xiangfeng Duan*, “Solvated Graphene Frameworks as High-Performance Anodes for Lithium-Ion Batteries”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2015, 54, 5345-5350.
30. Yuxi Xu, Zhaoyang Lin, Xing Zhong, Xiaoqing Huang, Nathan O. Weiss, Yu Huang, Xiangfeng Duan*, “Holey Graphene Frameworks for Highly Efficient Capacitive Energy Storage”, Nat. Commun. 2014, 5, 4554.
31. Yuxi Xu, Zhaoyang Lin, Xiaoqing Huang, Yang Wang, Yu Huang, Xiangfeng Duan*, “Functionalized Graphene Hydrogels Based High-Performance Supercapacitors”, Adv. Mater. 2013, 25, 5779-5784.
32. Yuxi Xu, Zhaoyang Lin, Xiaoqing Huang, Yuan Liu, Yu Huang, Xiangfeng Duan*, “Flexible Solid-State Supercapacitors Based on Three-Dimensional Graphene Hydrogel Films”, ACS Nano 2013, 7, 4042-4049.
33. Yuxi Xu, Qiong Wu, Yiqing Sun, Hua Bai, Gaoquan Shi*, “Three-Dimensional Self-Assembly of Graphene Oxide and DNA into Multifunctional Hydrogels”, ACS Nano 2010, 4, 7358-7362.
34. Yuxi Xu, Kaixuan Sheng, Chun Li, Gaoquan Shi*, “Self-Assembled Graphene Hydrogel via a One-Step Hydrothermal Process”, ACS Nano 2010, 4, 4324-4330.
35. Yuxi Xu, Lu Zhao, Hua Bai, Wenjing Hong, Chun Li, Gaoquan Shi*, “Chemically Converted Graphene Induced Molecular Flattening of Porphyrin and Its Application for Optical Detection of Cadmium(II) Ions”, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2009, 131, 13490-13497.
36. Yuxi Xu, Hua Bai, Gewu Lu, Chun Li*, Gaoquan Shi*, “Flexible Graphene Films via the Filtration of Water-Soluble Noncovalent Functionalized Graphene Sheets”, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2008, 130, 5856-5857.
(More can be found at https://scholar.google.com.hk/citations?user=kZKfbU4AAAAJ&hl=zh-CN&oi=ao)
Dr. Xu is always on the lookout for talented new students and post-doctoral fellows. Please do not hesitate to contact and apply.